Global Patriot Mission Statement

by Mark Lovett on June 6, 2009

We promote the belief that everyone deserves to live on a healthy planet, in peace and prosperity, using sustainability, compassion and respect as our guiding principles.

In support of this belief Global Patriot will engage in the following activities:

• Generate awareness of the many issues that prevent this belief from manifesting
  • Honor those individuals, NGOs & non-profits who are dedicated to positive change
  • Work with individuals, NGOs & non-profits to raise funds in support of their causes
  • Sponsor new programs, campaigns and initiatives which seek to improve our planet
  • Identify ways in which individuals can change their lifestyle to support sustainability
  • Participate in conferences, events, and discussions that support these basic principles
  • Utilize social and traditional media to support these goals and ideals within all cultures
  • Encourage business & government leaders to incorporate socially responsible practices

Courtesy of ExperienceLA

Courtesy of ExperienceLA

Every business needs a mission statement, and properly written, it succinctly defines the reason that business began in the first place.

While Global Patriot is a movement, as opposed to a business venture, defining this reason for being is still an important part of the process.

The passion to create Global Patriot came from an examination of world events and an honest look at the current state of humanity. It’s based on the belief that we can only solve problems if we act as one family.

Those Less Fortunate

Life is often complex and multi-faceted, yet in the end we all strive to live our life filled with joy and happiness, surrounded by friends and family while appreciating the profound beauty and grandeur that nature has to offer.

Most of us are very fortunate in this regard, living a relatively safe, secure and happy life, but many in our global family are far less fortunate. Although mankind has matured over the centuries, the fact remains that our planet finds itself under environmental siege and millions of its citizens still lead lives trapped in abject poverty and suffering due to injustice, inequality, oppression, and lacking education or opportunity.

These facts are evident to us on a daily basis, as warfare continues to ravage civilian populations, ethnic and religious groups are discriminated against, basic human rights violated, and the planet’s ecosystems are thrown out of balance by unrelenting pollution.

Courtesy of sean McGrath

Courtesy of Sean McGrath

Despite our grand economic, social and scientific achievements, many people still die of disease, starvation and warfare as we blindly squander our natural resources.

But does it have to remain this way? Are we so addicted to our lifestyle that we cannot change?

Or is there a solution to this dire situation…can we discover a way in which we the people can somehow change things for the better, can alter our habits and live in a way that respects the planet?

Raison d’être

Returning to the mission statement, the fundamental reason for creating the Global Patriot movement was to address the need for a change in consciousness – a consciousness that embraces the entire planet in a holistic fashion while recognizing that we are all connected – and not just humanity, but all living creatures, as well as the air, water, and soil.

Everything we do affects everything there is.

While this post was intended to make a statement about the Global Patriot movement, it is also designed to be a starting point in a serious conversation, a conversation that includes you.

What does Global Patriot mean to you?

Curt Gibbs August 6, 2009 at 11:51 am

Glad you liked our family and friends photo taken up in the Sierras a mile or so in from the Rock Creek trail head. I greatly appreciate that you provided the photo credit and linked back to the original picture.

Curt Gibbs, ExperienceLA on flickr

Global Patriot August 7, 2009 at 11:27 am

That photo said so much to me, about family, nature, diversity and happiness – and I hope that all the world can experience that feeling.

Curt Gibbs August 6, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Curt Gibbs, ExperienceLA on flickr

GlobalPatriot August 7, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Danny Brown June 13, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Mark,

You continue to inspire, good sir. What you’re doing and what you believe in is amazing – I just wish all companies thought this way.

Keep on doing what you’re doing.
.-= Danny Brown´s last blog ..From Twitter to Blog – #FollowFriday Vol. 3 =-.

GlobalPatriot June 13, 2009 at 7:40 pm

It’s important for me to say that much of my recent focus and inspiration has come from observing the amazing work that you’ve done with 12for12k.org. I’m also honored that our organizations will be working together in support of others who embody such a strong sense of commitment and compassion for those in need .

Danny Brown June 14, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Amen, sir – here’s to September.
.-= Danny Brown´s last blog ..From Twitter to Blog – #FollowFriday Vol. 3 =-.

Danny Brown June 13, 2009 at 11:34 am

Mark,

Keep on doing what you’re doing.
.-= Danny Brown´s last blog ..From Twitter to Blog – #FollowFriday Vol. 3 =-.

Global Patriot June 13, 2009 at 11:40 am

Danny Brown June 14, 2009 at 6:59 am

Amen, sir – here’s to September.
.-= Danny Brown´s last blog ..From Twitter to Blog – #FollowFriday Vol. 3 =-.

Ellen June 13, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Mark – this is fabulous. I’m playing around with some words talking about educating multiple generations in the coexistence and synergy of global patriotism and national identity/pride. What do you think?

GlobalPatriot June 13, 2009 at 7:33 pm

This is an important topic Ellen, as having a local/national/ethnic/religious/gender sense of pride should coexist with a sense of global unity. So how do we educate along those lines – promoting the idea that global patriotism is an adjunct to who we are as individuals?

Ellen June 14, 2009 at 9:39 pm

We all have multiple identities. We’re sons and fathers, sisters and bankers, Japanese and world citizens. Perhaps a beginning is the notion that we should define who we are by what we do rather than the labels we wear…

GlobalPatriot June 15, 2009 at 2:11 pm

I have always felt that the labels we use to define also serve to limit. Getting to the core of what it means to be human strips away those labels, and that process allows for examination of what we do, how we act, how we feel.

Ellen June 13, 2009 at 4:07 am

Global Patriot June 13, 2009 at 11:33 am

Ellen June 14, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Global Patriot June 15, 2009 at 7:11 am

Pearl June 12, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Just want to thank you for bringing awareness to us in areas sometimes we all forget about.. ‘change in consciousness’ is all we need to make it a successful journey. I also agree with Stephan in #2 comment above to create a resource page with upcoming events so people have a way to get involved right away if they want to..

My bests with the mission!
Pearl
.-= Pearl´s last blog ..Carnival of Healing #191 =-.

Global Patriot June 13, 2009 at 11:26 am

As much as I love the tactical work everyone is doing around the globe the change I agree that a change in consciousness must occur in tandem, as that’s the only way to change things for the better in the long run! And with two votes in, guess I had better begin work on an events page :-)

Pearl June 13, 2009 at 3:30 am

My bests with the mission!
Pearl
.-= Pearl´s last blog ..Carnival of Healing #191 =-.

GlobalPatriot June 13, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Eva June 9, 2009 at 3:12 pm

“Everything we do affects everything there is ” and I would also say that “everything that we are & say affects everything/everyone too”

I love the African philosophy Ubuntu ~ which is based on this ideal ~”I am because of who you are”. Respect for the world around us starts with respect for ourselves & caring about our own emotional wellbeing and who we “are” thus affects those around us. ..and the planet too ~ Thankyou for all you are doing~ you have a beautiful way.

Global Patriot June 15, 2009 at 7:17 am

I believe that respect should be the foundation for all we think, say and do. You’re right in pointing out that what we are affects all, and that fact speaks to the need for respect.

Eva June 9, 2009 at 11:12 pm

GlobalPatriot June 15, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Steffan Antonas June 9, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Mark – Great list.

Here’s an idea for your blog: Create a page that lists all the conferences and organizations etc that you know about – open up comments and let us add to the list. Let’s create an inventory of all the touch points.

Steffan Antonas’s last blog post..How To Use Google Trends Like A Pro

Global Patriot June 15, 2009 at 7:21 am

I’ve thought of creating such a list, but have resisted due to the maintenance side of the equation – constantly adding and deleting events. But if there was a database to track these events then everyone could contribute and the list could be generated to only show future events – I like that idea.

Steffan Antonas June 9, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Mark – Great list.

Steffan Antonas’s last blog post..How To Use Google Trends Like A Pro

GlobalPatriot June 15, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Beth Ziesenis June 8, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Mark,

I, too, think your words are perfect. But I’ve never been one to get to excited about a mission statement. What I get excited about is action, innovation, engagement. And your movement has all three. I see you taking steps, making a difference, energizing people around you. And although I love that you’re putting words around that concept, I wouldn’t get too hung up in a phrase. Get hung up in positive progress, and keep doing what you’re doing.

A big fan,

Beth

Beth Ziesenis’s last blog post..OpenWith.org: Free programs to open any file extension

Global Patriot June 9, 2009 at 12:20 pm

I agree with the notion of action and positive progress, and there are plans in the works for events this fall. The main reason I put the mission into words is that it becomes a foundation upon which action takes place, allow us to focus on the goals.

Beth Ziesenis June 9, 2009 at 12:42 am

Mark,

A big fan,

Beth

GlobalPatriot June 9, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Bud Hennekes June 8, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Mark absolutely beautiful.

The more awareness we raise the better our world will come. We truly can make a difference.

Bud Hennekes’s last blog post..Saying Goodbye

Global Patriot June 9, 2009 at 12:16 pm

I know that you’re on the same page Bud, inspiring the world to greatness!

Bud Hennekes June 9, 2009 at 12:01 am

Mark absolutely beautiful.

Bud Hennekes’s last blog post..Saying Goodbye

GlobalPatriot June 9, 2009 at 8:16 pm

I know that you’re on the same page Bud, inspiring the world to greatness!

Lisa Banks June 8, 2009 at 6:51 am

Thanks for sharing your comments on creating a mission statement, as well as going into detail on your own. It’s inspiring to hear what guides you and encourages us to continue to look for those businesses that are committed to a worthwhile mission. Just as a point of interest, there’s a new fashion retail company you would enjoy getting to know: http://www.fashionandearth.com. The owner is passionate and committed and we were fortunate to have the chance to work with him.

Global Patriot June 9, 2009 at 12:15 pm

While my main focus is on what we do as individuals, you bring up a good point that we need to seek out those businesses who demonstrate commitment to social good.

Lisa Banks June 8, 2009 at 2:51 pm

GlobalPatriot June 9, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Bethany June 8, 2009 at 2:22 am

I love it. It covers exactly what i think GB is about: promoting universal identity and not thinking of one’s nationality as supreme to all others thus leading to alienation, hate, wars…rather than love, compassion and most importantly respect.

Global Patriot June 8, 2009 at 4:48 am

It is vital that we move beyond the issues that divide us, and I agree that the most important word here is “respect” – for each other and the planet. If we ask ourselves on a continuing basis, “Is what I’m doing respectful?”, the answer comes from a place not bound by external ideology.

Bethany June 8, 2009 at 10:22 am

GlobalPatriot June 8, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Mihaela Lica June 8, 2009 at 1:15 am

This is one of those times when I find giving a definition a challenging task. There are so many things I would like to do to make a difference in this world – all I need is the power to believe that my efforts matter and not to get discouraged when things don’t happen as fast as I want them to.

I think the best way is to find a collective cause and contribute to that. Recycling, planting trees, conserving energy… well these are already routines for myself and my family, and we plan to do even more in the future.

I think that being a global patriot means aside how we live our life now, how we react in apparently insignificant situations: like, when we see a piece of trash in the street, do we stop to pick it up and dispose of it in a trash can, or do we go on ignoring it? Every little thing we do in this life has a consequence and an impact on greater things.

Mihaela Lica’s last blog post..D-Day, Remembering the Cost of Freedom

Global Patriot June 8, 2009 at 4:53 am

I appreciated your comment regarding those actions that seem insignificant. So often it is the accumulation of small actions that make a big difference and signify a true change in consciousness.

Mihaela Lica June 8, 2009 at 9:15 am

Mihaela Lica’s last blog post..D-Day, Remembering the Cost of Freedom

GlobalPatriot June 8, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Sonya June 8, 2009 at 1:43 am

Like your site, your mission statement is inspiring and thought-provoking. Thanks for sharing!

Sonya’s last blog post..Free Audio Walking Tours

Crystal Vilkaitis June 7, 2009 at 11:26 pm

LOVE your mission statement Mark. Thanks for doing what you do. I love that you say you’re a movement, not a business venture. Best of luck!

Global Patriot June 8, 2009 at 4:56 am

Thank you for such kind words Crystal. After many months of considering the nature of this project it became apparent that beyond doing things that make a difference, a change in how we think about the world was also required, and my hope is that this movement helps in that regard.

Crystal Vilkaitis June 8, 2009 at 7:26 am

GlobalPatriot June 8, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Sonya June 7, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Sonya’s last blog post..Free Audio Walking Tours

Giovanna Garcia June 7, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Hi Mark

I love your mission statement.
What does global patriot means to me? To me it means: “Care for the well-being of our world. Have pride and patriotism to all of mankind.”

Keep up the great work you are doing.
Giovanna Garcia
Imperfect Action is better than No Action

Giovanna Garcia’s last blog post..How the first rainbow was created?

Global Patriot June 7, 2009 at 4:25 pm

I agree Giovanna, that we can embody a pride and patriotism that embraces the entire planet, not just one nationality!

Giovanna Garcia June 7, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Hi Mark

I love your mission statement.

Keep up the great work you are doing.
Giovanna Garcia
Imperfect Action is better than No Action

Giovanna Garcia’s last blog post..How the first rainbow was created?

GlobalPatriot June 8, 2009 at 12:25 am

TheRiverWanders June 7, 2009 at 7:53 am

Wonderful mission statement; a shift in consciousness enables a shift in behavior.

Global Patriot June 7, 2009 at 4:27 pm

We often try to change our behavior, yet never look at the underlying state of mind that governs our habits – a shift in consciousness is essential for permanent change!

TheRiverWanders June 7, 2009 at 3:53 pm

GlobalPatriot June 8, 2009 at 12:27 am

Tim Hurst June 7, 2009 at 6:44 am

All worthy components of a worthy mission.

Global Patriot June 7, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Thank you Tim…I appreciate all that you do in support of a sustainable world!

Tim Hurst June 7, 2009 at 2:44 pm

All worthy components of a worthy mission.

GlobalPatriot June 8, 2009 at 12:28 am

Thank you Tim…I appreciate all that you do in support of a sustainable world!

Meg June 7, 2009 at 4:46 am

I think your mission statement is beautiful. Its also practical, and (I believe) achievable – provided we all pull together and start to change our attitudes to fit the realities of the truly global society we are all now a part of.

It seems to me that the problems of poverty, environmental degradation, unfair resource allocation etc are all symptoms with one underlying cause – an attitude of selfish individualism. Tackling these problems without also attempting to change the attitudes that created them in the first place seems destined to failure.

Nice work :)

Meg’s last blog post..Do Your Home Work

Global Patriot June 7, 2009 at 4:33 pm

You bring up a good point Meg. While we all want to be strong individuals, if that aspect of our being moves toward selfish we neglect the needs of others and our society begins to degrade. I believe it’s time to reach beyond ourselves and become more aware of the planet as a whole.

Meg June 7, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Nice work :)

Meg’s last blog post..Do Your Home Work

GlobalPatriot June 8, 2009 at 12:33 am

Parvez June 6, 2009 at 9:08 pm

A sustainable green world is what I want along with inclusive growth for all people – my stumbles (a majority of them at least show that) and I urge you to do a lot more – the best time to plant trees is now and conserve energy and water!

Parvez’s last blog post..http://parvez.stumbleupon.com/review/25117286/

Global Patriot June 6, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Sustainability is a key element in understanding how to act, as it implies a balance between people and nature, and that is a relatively new concept for mankind.

Parvez June 7, 2009 at 5:08 am

Parvez’s last blog post..http://parvez.stumbleupon.com/review/25117286/

GlobalPatriot June 7, 2009 at 6:18 am

Barrie June 6, 2009 at 6:43 pm

We share this planet with billions of people and it is up to each individual to care, be a part of every ethnic community and express our sincere thoughfulness and experiences with each other regardless of race or religion. PAX

Barrie’s last blog post..Photo of the Day: Asmat Carvings

Global Patriot June 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Your point on caring is essential to our interaction with every ethnicity, as we are all on this journey together, and our heart must reach out to others in the process.

Barrie June 7, 2009 at 2:43 am