The world of philanthropy has expanded exponentially as participation and fundraising increasingly move from the small circle of wealthy individuals and corporations to involve most everyone. While large scale campaigns, such as the United Way, have been active for years, there has recently been an explosion of causes promoted at the grass roots level.
Nowhere has this been more evident than in San Diego, where there is a nonprofit event happening most every day supporting a variety of worth causes, and the amazing team at StayClassy.org had the brilliant idea of tossing an awards ceremony to pay tribute to those individuals and organizations whose efforts have made a difference to so many in 2009.
I’m honored to have been nominated in the Most Creative Fundraising Event Hosted by an Individual category for organizing the Music as Medicine International Concert Tour, in partnership with the 12for12k Challenge to raise funds in support of the global efforts of Doctors Without Borders.
Voting ends on Thursday, November 12th at midnight!
More Than Your Average Award Show
The Classy Awards is an award show and celebration all in one. Billed as the Academy Awards of San Diego Philanthropy, this event will be held on Saturday, November 14, 2009 at the US Grant Hotel.
The night will commences with a cocktail hour, complete hor d’oeurves, and the tunes of Gregory Page and his Quartet. The Classy Awards ceremony starts promptly at 9:00 PM and will be followed by a classy champagne toast as we smoothly transition right into the after-party, featuring a great lineup of DJs who will take us into the wee hours of the night!
Best Individual Fundraising Effort
- Sue Carter – Volunteer San Diego
- Jessica Johnson – Jeans 4 Justice, Team Challenge
- Janet Hamada – Moderne
- Kim Goodeve – Stand Up For Kids
- Shawna Such – No More SIDS Foundation
Best Individual Volunteering Effort
- Carmen Velasco – Selfless Local Realtor
- Joe Bello – Awareness for Invisible Children
- Deborah Leto – Helping Inner City Youth
- Erika Gluck – Outreach in Africa
- Sean Sheppard – Feeding the Homeless
Most Creative Fundraising Event Hosted by an Individual
- Maryam Davodi-Far – Swap with a Purpose
- Niamh Scott & Kelly Orange – Fruit of the Soul
- AJ Machado – 101K Toys for AJ
- Mark Lovett – Music as Medicine International Concert Tour
- Pi Beta Phi – 6th Annual Surf Classic
Most Significant Impact by a Business
- San Diego Padres
- Nika Water
- Bank of America
- Verant Group
- Sempra Energy
Most Creative Fundraising Event by a Charity
- Canstruction – by Society for Design Administration
- Over the Edge – by Kids Included Together
- The Spin-a-thon – by Magdalena Ecke Family YMCA
- Fur Ball 2009 – Humane Society
- Midnight Maddness Bicycle Ride – by Hostels International, San Diego
Most Popular Cause Awareness Campaign
- Greening Programs in Schools – Rob Machado Foundation
- The Rescue – Invisible Children
- Plant a Billion Trees – The Nature Conservancy
- Breast Cast Campaign – Keep a Breast Foundation
- The 3C Committee – Make a Wish Foundation
Most Innovative Use of Technology by a Charity
- Kids Included Together
- San Diego Youth Services
- Ronda’s Dream Center
- Volunteer San Diego
- Sundt Memorial Foundation
Most Substantial Impact by a Small Charity
- Rolling Readers
- Freedom Dogs
- United Nations Association of San Diego
- Karuna International
Be Classy at the Stay Classy Awards Ceremony!
If you plan to join us on Saturday night, this is your opportunity to be as classy as you can! Break out your most stylish threads and be ready to enjoy the evening until the wee hours! And on the off chance that you happen to be pals with the always popular Brad and Angelina, invite them to join us!