2009 A Year Of Enlightenment

by Mark Lovett on December 31, 2009

I went into 2009 with the simple intention of spreading the message of Global Patriot, promoting the belief that everyone deserves to live on a healthy planet, in peace and prosperity, using sustainability, compassion and respect as guiding principles.

Based on my background in business management and strategy I had put together a very long list of things-to-do. Not concrete, mind you, but potential events and projects. As I sit here on this last day of 2009, I have to confess that few items on that list came to fruition. I also have to admit how happy I am about that fact, as I could never have imagined what was in store, or who I was about to meet.

They Enlightened Me This Year

Danny Brown inspired me with his 12for12k Challenge, and during September of 2009 Global Patriot partnered with 12for12k to produce the Music as Medicine tour in support of Doctors Without Borders. Danny is someone who operates from the heart first and foremost, and in doing so he changed my view of how social media could improve the world. Check out his blog on social media conversations.

Steffan Antonas has been there from the beginning of Global Patriot to offer support, advice, and lead by example with his fine writing. He’s one of those rare individuals who understands the marketing/PR/communication side of social media, as well as the technology underneath that makes it all work. Add in a passion for sustainability and you will understand why I subscribe to the Steffan Antonas blog.

Ricardo & Katie Villarreal are not only the nicest people you could ever want to meet, but they have supported the Global Patriot movement with their advice, inspiration, and insights, as well as their expert video production capability since early on. Check out their Global Patriot Monday Mixer video and montage from Music as Medicine in San Diego. I look forward to sharing a glass with them soon!

Danielle Brigida is the social media outreach coordinator at the National Wildlife Foundation, and serves as a guiding light for those in the nonprofit world who are trying to expand their following using social media. She admits to being a wildlife geek interested in the environment, social media, nature, green technology and sustainability, and that would explain why she is so inspiring to me.

Shanna Trenholm possesses an eclectic understanding of humanity and language, which most likely explains why she writes so well, and why I feel so blessed to have been the beneficiary of her sage counsel throughout 2009. Much was learned on the topic of conveying my message. If you would like to hire a slice of wisdom, insight and irreverence, you would be wise to check out Shanna Trenholm.

Stacey Monk co-founded Epic Change in 2007, and in 2008 the organization launched TweetsGiving as a 48-hour celebration of gratitude using Twitter to spread the word. They raised over $10,000 and built a classroom in Arusha, Tanzania. The 2009 campaign was even more successful and Stacey’s leadership and drive shows how powerful we can become when we join together for a common cause.

Malcolm Scovil was introduced to me through mutual friends, and after one phone call he committed his Leap Anywhere team to produce the London leg of my Music as Medicine tour to benefit Doctors Without Borders.  The Leap Anywhere philosophy is straight forward, have a good time doing good, and the energy and passion that Malcolm brings to the table is sure to change the face of philanthropy.

Bethany Kehdy is a food blogger residing in the UK, and her Dirty Kitchen Secrets caught my eye a long time ago. Beyond all the delicious recipes and beautiful photography, Bethany weaves in her Lebanese heritage in a way that reminds us that the essence of eating is to do so with friends and family, and with an appreciation of our history and culture. I will forever appreciate that reminder.

David Dunkley gave an amazing talk on video journalism at the 2009 South by Southwest Conference, but it was the conversation we had two days later that I remember most. Describing Global Patriot as a United Nations of You and explaining that we should all have a Passion for the Impossible truly shifted my consciousness. For a tour of avant-garde video storytelling, check out David’s View Magazine.

Renee Viterstedt, Anders Sporring and Johan Burell teamed up to produce the Stockholm leg of the Music as Medicine tour. With little to go on besides wit, charm, smarts and tenacity they secured the musical talents of Sofia Talvik and Tom Levin to create a most memorable evening at the Hilton Hotel. Their tireless effort preceding the concert still resonates with me as the essence of selfless giving.

Who inspired or enlightened you in 2009?

Leave your comments below and tell the world!

Beth Ziesenis January 6, 2010 at 11:21 am

Mark, you’re one of the top people on my list. Thanks for sharing the people who inspired you. I’m sure both our lists will continue to grow in 2010 and beyond.
.-= Beth Ziesenis´s last blog ..Da Button Factory: Another quick button generator =-.

Global Patriot January 6, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Everyone should know how inspirational you have been to me this past year Beth. Every time I turn around you’re working on something new, and that keeps me on my toes!

Beth Ziesenis January 6, 2010 at 6:21 pm

GlobalPatriot January 6, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Renee Viterstedt January 6, 2010 at 1:23 am

Proud to be a part of this wonderful movement. Thank you to everyone listed for the inspiration and action. Here’s to another great year for Global Patriot!

Global Patriot January 6, 2010 at 2:12 pm

The beauty of the Global Patriot movement is that it has inspired so many, who in turn inspire me – thanks Renee!

Renee Viterstedt January 6, 2010 at 8:23 am

GlobalPatriot January 6, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Sonya January 4, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Happy New Year! Thanks so much for sharing your 2009 Year of Enlightenment. Last year, your blog greatly inspired me! Wishing you the best of everything in 2010!
.-= Sonya´s last blog ..Most Popular Stories of 2009 =-.

GlobalPatriot January 5, 2010 at 7:40 am

Thank you Sonya, your Traveling Greener blog is a treasure of information that everyone should be aware of – http://www.travelinggreener.com – best wishes in the new year!

Sonya January 4, 2010 at 3:00 pm

.-= Sonya´s last blog ..Most Popular Stories of 2009 =-.

Global Patriot January 5, 2010 at 12:40 am

Bethany January 4, 2010 at 12:16 am

Mark!

I am extremely touched that you have included me on this list for such a reason and with all these outstanding people. You have been nothing but inspiration to me since I found your blog and meeting you in person this year was one of the highlights of 2009. I look forward to more outstanding discussion in 2010 and hope I can be of more support to you in the future. Global Patriot ROCKS! and I wish you more success!

Bethx
.-= Bethany´s last blog ..Lightening Up With A Salad- Caramelised Pear & Walnut W/ Prosciutto & Stilton Cheese =-.

Global Patriot January 4, 2010 at 9:12 am

2009 was an incredible year due to the amazing people, such as yourself, that came into my life through the magic of social media. That we share our thoughts and ideas with the goal of improving the planet is special indeed. Thanks again for simply being you!

Bethany January 4, 2010 at 7:16 am

Mark!

Bethx

GlobalPatriot January 4, 2010 at 4:12 pm

shanna January 3, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Mark,
I am so touched that you included me on this list of amazing folks–I am in good company! What a year of sharing, learning, and ramping up for what I feel is going to be a stellar 2010!

Global Patriot January 4, 2010 at 9:14 am

I can always count on you for a pearl of wisdom when most needed Shanna, and the foundation laid during 2009 will, as you say, create a stellar 2010! Thank you!

Anonymous January 3, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Mark,

GlobalPatriot January 4, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Steffan Antonas January 1, 2010 at 11:33 am

Mark,

I’m really touched that you’ve included me in this list. Has it really been a year since we had lunch that day when you told me you were thinking of starting a blog? I’ve been continuously impressed with how much progress you’ve made this year and it’s been a pleasure following Globalpatriot around the social web and joining you in discussions here on this blog. You should be incredibly proud of what you’ve accomplished in the last 12 months. Keep up the good work. Best of luck to you in 2010. Looking forward to more of the same. I’ll be around ;-).

- Steffan
.-= Steffan Antonas´s last blog ..The Future Of Magazines? =-.

Global Patriot January 2, 2010 at 11:36 am

Looking back at such an amazing year it only felt right to mention those who gave of themselves to help the cause. I’ve learned much from your blog posts and how you’ve built such a strong community. Looking forward to our paths crossing soon!

Steffan Antonas January 1, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Mark,

- Steffan
.-= Steffan Antonas´s last blog ..The Future Of Magazines? =-.

GlobalPatriot January 2, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Anders Sporring January 1, 2010 at 1:03 am

Here’s for an even more inspiring and fruitful year, 2010, for all of us! http://Concertsforchange.nu will do more events this year, and the hope is to improve ourselves for every new challenge.
Cheers Mark, and thanks for 2009!
.-= Anders Sporring´s last blog ..Year 2009 in retrospective =-.

GlobalPatriot January 2, 2010 at 6:38 pm

With each challenge, and with each new connection we become better citizens of the planet. Much success to you and the Concerts for Change team in 2010!

Anders Sporring December 31, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Cheers Mark, and thanks for 2009!
.-= Anders Sporring´s last blog ..Year 2009 in retrospective =-.

Global Patriot January 2, 2010 at 11:38 am